Rubicon Project and Telaria have agreed to merge in a deal that has been approved by both companies’ board of governors and will see them become the largest independent sell-side platform on the market.
The companies, both of whom are publicly listed, have agreed to merge to take advantage of the fast-growing CTV market, claiming to offer a transparent alternative to the internet’s major ad-tech platforms such as Facebook and Google, and that they will provide media owners with more control over how they manage their businesses.
Rubicon Project stockholders will own 52.9% of the combined entity, while Telaria stockholders will own the remaining 47.1%, with Rubicon CEO Michael Barrett taking the position of chief executive of the outfit and Telaria CEO Mark Zagorski to serve as president and COO.
“This transformative combination builds on our commitment to trust and transparency and accelerates our strategy to provide buyers and sellers with a single path to every format and channel including CTV,” Barrett said.
Zagorski added, “Our businesses are highly complementary, and when combined are a powerful, strategic alternative to the walled gardens, which have been frustrating both buyers and sellers due to their lack of transparency, innovation bottlenecks and conflicted business models.”
The transaction, which is still subject to regulatory approval, is expected to close in the first half of 2020 with investment bankers Luma Partners and Needham & Company serving as financial advisors to Rubicon Project, and RBC Capital Markets for Telaria, according to a statement.